Here’s the deal, for a $1 a month (or 2, 5, 10) you can ask a physicist a question. About anything! Dr. Sean M. Carroll, CalTech, hosts a podcast called Mindscape. As a patreon, you can ask him anything. Genius! Ive dreamed about interviewing cutting edge theorists and this is really close. I cant wait to interact with him.
I thought I would document here my growing list of questions and his responses as they come in.
- In a black hole (bh), could things be so compacted that positions and probabilities become defined or more defined? What are the consequences if an electron can only be in one place? Or perhaps to remain quantum, can only be in 2 places; binary?
- When physicists say physics break down (as in singularities or infinities in the math), wouldn’t new physics then emerge from that breakdown? If so, no wonder our models cannot describe them. Is it possible to determine what new physics would emerge? There are predictions that show the forces were once converged, and gravity was inflationary… perhaps new forces, fields, physics is happening.
- What issues do you see with Penrose’s model of CCC? It really rings true to me. He uses M C Escher’s paintings as an explanatory picture, but fractals make more sense. I even see room for many worlds and entropy to play a part. Basically, at the heat death/cold birth, the worlds quit splitting and leads to a reboot.
- Entanglement is one of the few topics that google hasn’t given an answer to. I get that the equations show this relationship; this determinism; that collapsing one collapses the other. I think I even have a visual idea of how and why entanglement happens. I dont really get how people or even the cat or the detector becomes entangled. Can you explain how entanglement experiments are done? How are entangled particles moved and measured? What holes are there in the theory? Can spins ever be measured at the exact same time?
- Entanglement seems just as odd as the double slit results. Is it related?
- Why isnt every particle an observer of all of its interactions?
- Do particles become un-entangled when observed? How does de-tanglement happen? Waves become particles when observed, do they go back to waves after?
- Ive always thought that the entangled particles cant interact with anything else? And they cant transmit information, so it seems like a useless by product. Like heat from the brakes. Theres no causality right? Just correlation?
- How do we know the 2 spins manifest at the exact same time?
- In EPR fashion, it seems to me that the entangled particles share information, but that was proven wrong. So maybe they combine properties or perhaps take on the aspect of being 1 particle. It seems kind of the opposite of 1 particle in 2 slits, but its 2 particles sharing 1 property. Can 2 entangled particles be considered the same, [up, down] = [down, up]? Dont 2 entangled particles share a history and information? Perhaps they dont become individualized particles until their histories separate. Is locality formalized? I see an avenue between information, locality, entanglement and the Penrose idea that the universe can forget how big it is – if all particles become entangled and distant from each other and have this quality of distant locality… space and size lose meaning.
- Do you think a layperson can develop an intuition for quantum physics, such that they might contribute to the field? What would that look like? I recently heard you, sort of, discredit Edgar Allan Poe’s cosmological insights because he had no data.
- In many worlds, there is a me who is every character you can think of, from super hero to super villain. I once heard it argued that you should rob a bank because in some world, you wont get caught. I guess my question is, will you ponder the ethics and implications of many worlds?
- Doesnt least action lead to locality?